Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Duke University - Documentary Studies

The Duke University podcast that I listened to was, Looking Back: 9/11 Across America: An Acoustic Exhibit Presenting American Voices in the Aftermath of Attack. This podcast is a collection of different people all over America sharing their experiences during and after the 9/11 attacks. I think everyone remembers where they were when they heard about the plane crashes and what they felt then and for a long time after. This is a collection of those stories. This was one of the scariest times for Americans. Everything that we knew changed, we weren't untouchable. It also brought us together. Several people talked about how everyone reached out to each other even in areas not directly affected. The attacks brought about a since of pride in Americans. Many of the people in this documentary talked about how they didn't understand exactly what it meant to be an American until the attacks. They also talk about their feelings about going to war. 
I also watched Broken, a film about families and HIV in Africa. I am not really sure how I felt about this film. I came away disgusted and confused. It was obviously not a documentary but maybe a reenactment of a father raping his daughter and the mother not believing it. In the end an African child says, "Stop hurting us, Stop abusing us, Stop forcing yourselves on us!! We are the children, We are the future!!!" I think that the message was wonderful but again I am not sure how I felt about the film!!
I am not sure exactly how these podcasts would really help me as an elementary educator. They are a little too mature for elementary school age children!! 

2 comments:

Marlena said...

I feel the same way about these podcasts for my future first graders...too advanced. But I did enjoy the presentations of each though.

Jennifer Averitt said...

Good job Brook